Instructions for using Your UMKC
Email Account for Classes
- First you need to activate your UMKC Email Account if you have not done
- Fire up a Web browser (IE or Netscape) and go to this URL:
- http://umkc.edu and type "EXCHANGE"
in the Search box in the lower left-hand corner.
- You need to click the 3rd box from the left with the title: "Exchange
- Then click on "What is my username?"
- You will need to enter your Student or Employee number (usually
your Social Security Number).
- If everything is ok, you will get a Username (or UserID), usually
in the form of your initials plus 3 random characters. It should also
say "The system that you use to check your email is K" ...don't worry...this
just means everything is OK.
- At this point you can hit the BACK button in the upper left-hand
corner of the browser, 3 times to get back to the Exchange Outlook
Web Access page.
- To log onto email, click on the 2nd button from the left, titled
"Exchange 2000 OWA". This the button you would always click
to check email in the future.
- Your initial password will be 2 digits for your birthdate (like
01 would be for Jan., 02 for Feb., etc.), followed by 2 digits
for the day of your birthdate (like 06 would be for the 6th day
of the month, etc.), followed by the last 4 digits of your SSN.
The format of the initial password would look like this: MMDDSSSS
- To reset your password, you would click on "To change or
reset your password" on the Exchange Outlook Web Access page.
You would then supply the Username and same initial password as
above. You also need to supply a NEW password of 5-12 characters
in length (hopefully, something you find easy to remember!). You
will need to type in the NEW password twice to verify the spelling.
At this point, you will need to hit the bar at the bottom of the
page that says "I AGREE TO ALL COMPUTER USAGE GUIDELINES"
in order to change the password. (You are welcome to peruse the
Guidelines too, but basically it says that you will not use your
account for illegal or inappropriate purposes.)
- Your FIRST Email Assignment is to send email to me at EnglishN@umkc.edu
by using the Web browser:
- Click NEW, and a blank email message will pop up. Put in the following
- In the CC line, put YOUR return email address. (If you use more
than one, separate with a ';' or semicolon.)
- In the Subject line, put the class designation number (like
CS105 or IT222 or AS509) followed by your Name.
- In the Body of the email, put the following info:
- UMKC Username UserID
- Your email address (add off campus email if you will be
using that as well).
- Your Major
- Your Interests and Topic of Study
- Statement of why you are taking this class (If required,
you can just say "Required".)
- Click the Send button to send the email.
- Hit "Refresh" or "Reload" on the Web browser
to see your copy of the email.
- NOTE: Later on, you can send documents as Attachments by clicking
on the "ATTACHMENTS" button (when the time comes).